Central Coast Seafood Earns a Green Award
Presented by the San Luis Obispo Chamber of Commerce
On November 10, 2009, The San Luis Obispo Chamber of Commerce recognized Central Coast Seafood as one of six diverse local businesses and organizations for working hard to be sustainable. The Green Award recipients were chosen out of more than 70 nominees.
The criteria for the award centered around the following categories:
- Environmental Impact/Sustainability
- Transferability to other businesses
- Business Benefits
- Innovation and Overall Environmental Leadership
OUR ENVIRONMENTAL AWARENESS
- Central Coast Seafood has been very active in developing responsible business practices that are environmentally conscientious:
- We have been using reusable delivery containers to reduce the use of cardboard
- Our delivery vehicles operate on bio-diesel
- We recently renovated our freezer to a more efficient cooling system that is less damaging to the environment.
- We are developing a plan to replace our electrical system with a solar-powered system to be completely self-sufficient.
- We are developing a system to work with our customer base on providing paperless statements and communications through email and web based communications.
- We provide Weekly Seafood Market Updates on our Website that provide the Seafood Ratings
- We are the first distributor to partner with FishWise, a not-for-profit sustainability consultancy dedicated to raising awareness about seafood choices and ocean conservation issues among the consumer public. We are committed to removing all highly unsustainable seafood items and provide alternatives.
- We partner with the Local Nature Conservancy to develop a model of fishery management at our local level. The joint effort is to build a more environmentally sustainable and economically viable ground fishing industry on the Central Coast.
At the awards presentation, Giovanni Comin, Owner and President of Central Coast Seafood, encourged consumers to request information regarding their seafood purchases. For example, where was the fish caught, what was the catch method and what seafood rating does the fish have. "Afterall, nothing drives change in industry like consumer spending." -- Giovanni Comin
We are very honored to receive this prestigious award and thank the San Luis Obispo Chamber of Commerce, the California Legislature and the California State Senate for recognizing our efforts.
Central Coast Seafood
Review Our Sustainable Seafood Program